Some of the features that characterise aging are formation of wrinkles, low energy levels, memory loss, health problems like osteoporosis, weak muscles and bones etc. It is not your age that decides your youthfulness, but it is your inner feelings that make you feel you are old.
Staying young and keeping fit are absolutely in your hands. It is not just anti aging creams that can help, but there are also other factors like nutrition and exercise, that keep you young.
Anti aging is possible. The body is designed to heal and repair itself with the aid of proper nutrition. The body requires two vital materials to complete this — energy and raw material. These two requirements are needed to maintain the cell’s proper functions.
Each cell needs the proper food to keep it strong. Cells die and replace themselves at various intervals. To understand antin-aging, understand that when a cell replaces itself it has three options that it can replace itself with:
1. A cell may replace itself with a weaker cell each time. A cell will do this if it has not had the right nutritional foods available to it. This process is called degeneration.
2. A cell can replace itself with the same strength cell. This means the body does not improve. That is, you have a chronic condition.
3. The cell is capable of replacing itself with a stronger and better cell. This will happen only if the cell has an abundance of energy and the right raw materials. This process is called regeneration. It is anti-aging.
There are certain foods that have special properties, unique components that make them literally antiaging food. As scientific research reveals more and more about how the human body works, what foods promote a healthy body, and what foods cause physical stress, it is becoming evident that many of the life threatening diseases experienced by aging people are the result of an unhealthy lifestyle and a poor diet.
Viewed from this perspective, any food that forms part of a healthy diet might be considered anti aging foods, but it is also true that some foods in particular seem to have unusual properties.
Foods which can help regeneration and anti-aging include
* RAW nuts, seeds, soaked and sprouted grains
* Almonds, especially if they have been soaked in water for 24 hours (‘sprouted’)
* Allium Family: garlic, onion, leeks, scallions, chives, and shallots.
* Green leafy vegetables
* Beans and Lentils: black, kidney, navy, pinto, chickpeas, soybeans, peas, and lentils.
* Nuts: walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds.
* Hot Peppers: bell and chili peppers
* Brown rice that has been soaked for 22 hours. This makes it alkaline
* Organic Cottage cheese and yogurt. They are alkalline. The bacteria has changed the original milk.
* Barley greens
* Aloe vera
* Antioxidants (eg vitamin C, vitamin E)
* Olive oil
* Gentle sunlight (vitamin D) In addition, frequent drinks of good water is crucial.
Many people’s health problems and anti-aging would improve if they would just drink more good water!
Dr Md Abedur Rahman
SourceL The Daily Star, June 20, 2009