Spiced Salmon or Trout
4 x (180-200)g fillets of salmon
40g Basmati Rice or good quality Rice
400g shredded leek
6 cloves garlic
1 finger finely chopped ginger
6 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric
Half tsp cumin
10g chopped chives
10g chopped coriander
1 tin of tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp Garam Masala
- Set aside 1 tsp of each herb and the rice. Put all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well, ensure the salmon fillets are covered and leave for 24 hours.
- Wash the rice, place in pan of cold water and bring to the boil. When the rice is just cooked, place in a bowl with the 10g of each herb put aside. Season and let it rest, covered with a tea towel.
- In a large frying pan, pour a teaspoon of sunflower oil (peanut or olive oil) and heat. When very hot, add one teaspoon of fenugreek. When this turns very dark brown, add the fish and cook until just pink in the centre.
- Place a considerable amount of the rice* in the center of the plate. Place the salmon on top of the rice and spoon the juices around the edges of the plate.
- It recommends that you serve the rice cold and the fish hot or vice versa as it enhances the flavours!
Source: Bazlur Rahman