Mixed Veggies with Grated cheese
Another unusual but extremely tasty & nutritious side dish.
- 2 large green bell peppers,
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large red spanish onion
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 small, ripe, plum tomatoes
- Few split green chilies for added punch(!)
- 1/2 cup grated, mixed cheeses (parmesan, romano, monterey jack, etc.)
- Olive oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Cut all veggies into cubes; set aside cubed tomatoes for later addition.
- On hot oil in a deep, heavy bottomed saucepan, add chopped veggies except garlic and tomatoes.
- Stir and fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt, crushed garlic and tomatoes, stir, lower heat, cover and steam for 5 to 7 more minutes. Do not over cook.
- Veggies should be slightly crunchy and retain most of their original color.
- Now turn off heat, sprinkle cheese over all, cover and let stand for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with rice or chapattis.
This dish may be served over boiled pasta. In that case, add 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce along with the tomatoes.
Source: Bharati Mitra