Quick and Easy Papaya
Papayas – 2 large (raw) – cut in cubes
Oil – 2 tsps
Salt – to taste
Kalonji (kalo jeera) – 1.5 tsp
Green chilles – 5
Haldi/Jeera powder/Dhania poweder – 1 tsp each
Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp
Bengali Garam Masala Powder – 1.5 tsp
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and sputter the kalonji and green chillies.
- Add the cut papaya and fry for a few minutes and then add all the dry masalas and salt except the garam masala.
- Put in Meduim – Low heat and let the papaya cook in the pressure cooker for about 10 minutes with the lid open.
- Add about a cup of water and close the lid and allow for one whistle and remove from flame.
- Once you are able to open the cooker – sprinkle with the garam masala powder.
(You are welcome to make this dish spicy by increasing the quantities of the dry masalas and adding ghee with the garam masala at the end)
It is a very healthy recipe that I learnt from my Mom and tastes really good with rice or rotis.
Source: Pritha Lal