Recipe for Masala Dosa and Sambhar
- Rice (lakshmi long grain,jasmine rice) 1 cup
- Urad dhaal 3/4 cup
- salt 1.5tsp.
- cooking oil
- Soak rice and urad dhaal in seperate vessels – (overnight) -6-8hrs. (outside fridge).
- Grind uraad dhaal in mixie until you get a fine paste.
- Take the paste into a vessel.
- Next grind the rice into a fine paste (you can add water).
- Add a lump of cooked rice. Grind that also.
- Now, pour the paste into the vessel which has urad daal paste.
- Add salt.
- Mix the batter as much as possible with your hand.
- Make sure that the paste is upto half the vessel.
- Then in a preheated oven (set to warm) warm it up for 3 minutes and switch it off.
- Leave it in the oven overnight.
- Now you have fermented batter. take a little batter into a smaller vessel and mix a little water until you get a good consistency. make sure that the batter does not become very thin.
- Take a pan, wait until it is heated, oil it (with very little oil spread evenly). Take 2 big spoons of the batter and pour it in the center and spread it slowly outwards (like making an omlette) until it is thin and even……then pour a half teaspoon of oil around the dosa.
- Wait for a few minutes until it is golden brown.
- Now carefully turn the dosa upside down. Wait for a few seconds….now your dosa is ready.
Note: Sometimes it may help to cover the frypan with a lid while
cooking the dosa.
- Boiled Potatoes
- Onions – chopped (1 big)
- green chillies – 4 (finely chopped)
- corriander leaves
- Mustards and jeera seeds
- Oil – 2tsp.
- Pour oil, once the oil is heated add jeera and mustard seeds.
- Then add onions and chillies and fry them until they are brown.
- Now add the boiled potatoes (mash them and then add).
- Add salt to taste and a little turmeric powder.
- Add very little water so that it is a little soft/gravy.
- Now add the corriander leaves too and fry for a few minutes an then it’s done.
- Toor dhaal
- Jeera and mustard seeds
- any vegetables (usually okra, eggplant, carrot or drumstick)
- Tamarind paste
- Sambhar masala powder
- Turmeric powder
Cook the dhaal in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Now in a vessel, add 3 tsps of oil. Add a few mustard or jeera seeds.
- Now add the onions and fry until they are brown. Now add the tomatoes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and 2.5 tsps of sambhar powder.
- Now add the tamarind paste and add water also.
- Add the vegetables and allow to cook until the vegetables are cooked well.
- Allow it to boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add the dhaal and mix well so that you get a homogenous mixture.
- Allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Check for salt and chilli (whether hot enough).
Now you are done!!
Source: Padmasani Kumar