Pujor Bhoger Khichuri and Bhaja
Pujor Bhoger Khichuri
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup split moong dal
- 1/4 cup split urad dal
- 1/4 ” cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamons
- 1 bay leaf
- Oil (try using mustard oil if possible)
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder 1/2 tsp ( I use cayenne)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup peas – shelled
- 1/4 cup cauliflower
- 2 small red potatoes – cleaned and quartered
- 2-3 jalapenos/ green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger paste (if available, else make a paste with 1 tsp ginger powder and equal amount of water and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin paste (1/4 tsp cumin powder and 1/4 tsp
water and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes)
- Clean and wash the dals and rice seperately. Get the pastes and masalas ready.
- Heat about 1 tbsp. of Mustard Oil in a flat bottmed pan.
- Add about 1/2 tbsp of ghee in it. Let it heat up.
- When hot, add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, the cloves and the cardamon seeds.
- Try to slightly crush the cardamon before putting it in the pan else it will tend to burst.
- Add the dals. fry for 5 – 10 minutes. Add the pastes (ginger, cumin), masalas (chilly, turmeric) and mix
- Add the rice. Fry for few more minutes constantly stirring.
- Add water – about 3 cups. Cover and let it boil on medium high heat.
- When furiously boiling, increase heat, add more water and add the vegies.
- Stir constantly else it will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the veggies are done, remove from heat.
- Serve with “begun bhaja” or “Alu bhaja”.
- 1/2 eggplant (big round ones)
- 2 potatoes washed and sliced.
- Cut the egg plant into thin slices.
- Mix with turmeric and a pinch of salt and keep aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mix the potato slices with turmeric.
- In a pan with hot oil (preferably mustard else canola), add the eggplant slices gently.
- The eggplant slices will absorb the oil and when done will start releasing the oil.
- Take them out using a slotted spoon and place on a absorbent kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- When done with eggplants, add the potatoes.
- Fry them till golden brown.
Source: Babu Roy